Bagnaia Navigates Drama Filled Italian GP Sprint to Win
After an early qualifying Francesco Bagnaia secured pole ahead of Marc Marquez and Alex Marquez in P2 and P3 respectively. The Sprint race occurred later in the afternoon. From the start rain was on the forecast for the Sprint Race. The race was started and the chaos ensued. Into turn 1 Alex Marquez and Brad Binder came together which resulted in Marquez being sent into the gravel. Binder has handed a long lap penalty for his involvement in the incident.
When the rain started the pack began to shuffle as riders were then allowed to swap bikes in the pits for one equipped with rain tires. Despite an early off during a scuffle between Marc Marquez and Jake Miller (KTM Racing) the two riders were able to finish in the top 10 during the Sprint Race. Despite the pressure from behind Bagnaia was able to hold his lead after trading positions with Mrco Bezzecchi for a few laps. Bezzecchi seemingly threw everything he had at Bagnaia given the conditions.
By the end of lap 4 Alex Rins had to retire from the race after crashing. Early reports state that he broke his leg in the incident. Rins underwent surgery shortly after the race. We will report more on the injury in time. Prima Pramac Racing Riders Johan Zarco P4 and Jorge Martin P3 secured two top 5 finished for the team. Bezzecchi’s Mooney VR46 Racing teammate Luca Marini rounded out the top 5.
Top 10 In Sprint Race
1. Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team)
2. Marco Bezzecchi (Mooney VR46 Racing Team) +0.369
3. Jorge Martin (Prima Pramac Racing) +0.952
4. Johann Zarco (Prima Pramac Racing) +1.009
5. Luca Marini (Mooney VR46 Racing Team) +3.668
6. Jack Miller (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) +3.772
7. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) +3.905
8. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing) +6.062
9. Enea Bastianini (Ducati Lenovo Team) +6.431
10. Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP™) +6.458